Joderline Yo!

The happiest of people don't necessarily have to have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Is it really even a "Job" ???

So, I'm here at what could possibly be my last day of work for 6 weeks. I've been SO busy lately with trying to get everything done before my departure! Well, this morning I received an email from one of our missionaries in Haiti. Her name is Ann and she and her husband have lived there full time for 20 years! They are such a wonderful couple. I love them to pieces! Anyway, Ann does not receive a paycheck; she voluntarily works at a school (Garden of Joy) in Haiti and heads up a sponsorship program at the school. I head it up here in America. So, we communicate very often. Anyway, she sent me an email this morning with a bunch of pictures of new students coming to the school awaiting sponsorship. (It's $25 a month to sponsor a child by the way) Well, as you can imagine, this is my most favorite part of my job. Seeing photo's of all the children in Haiti and finding out their "stories." I love it. It really is a wonderful job I have b/c it keeps me ever so close to our precious Father in heaven reminding me day after day that we are so blessed by His grace to even be a part of His awesome plan.

Anyway, the pictures made me smile from ear to ear this morning. Ohhh, I love seeing these children. Then, in a separate email, she sent me birthdates and info on each of them. How it just broke my heart. I'm just in tears. I wanted to share a couple of these children's stories with you so you can understand how I am feeling! And maybe I won't be the only one wiping my eyes in front of a computer today! Or, maybe I will... who knows! I'm a cryer!

Here is one story: This little boy named Philemond is in K-5. He is 6 years old. He has no father or siblings. It is only him and his mother that live in their home. His mother cannot find any work to support them, so an uncle helps them survive. The only food that little Philemond gets is the one meal a day that they serve at the school. And the only reason they are even able to serve food at the school is b/c of the sponsorship money that we send in each month. If it wasn't for this, most of these children would starve. Adults in Haiti always eat before the children, and if there isn't enough left over, the child just simply does not eat. So, thank goodness for the school's food!

Another story: This little girl's name is Edith. She is in 2nd grade. She is one of 5 siblings and has both her parents living in her home. They are a Christian family and attend church. Her parents have their own veggie garden and try to earn income by selling vegitables. Ann says that this family lives so far from the school, but everyone walks together each morning and the children are always on time. She said it must take these children forever to walk to school, b/c it takes her over an hours walk to get to the school from their home... and she's an adult. She also told me that every year they give Ann a huge bag of their home-grown veggies just to say thank you for all she does for them. HOW SWEET!

One last story: Two children just entered the sponsorship program. Their names are Dayna and Daniel. I haven't received pics of them yet. They are both in 3rd grade. Ann says that there are 9 children total in this family, and they only have a mother. There may be multiple fathers, but no one will claim the children. The mother went blind after giving birth to her last child. She almost passed away last week and she tells Ann she just wants to die. The oldest sister is responsible for everything with a little help from the Grandmother. Another missionary couple has been helping to educate these children and a friend of there's sends in money every now and then for food for them. We are hoping that someone will sponsor these two children so that they can receive an education and food at Garden of Joy.

Anyway, this is the kind of thing I see every day here at work! It's so fulfilling doing what I do, but it's also very sad at times. Knowing, though, that God is in control is so comforting. I have visited most of these children in Haiti a couple times a year. I haven't been able to go since i've been pregnant, but hopefully Aaron and I will be going again in the future. I'll share a few more pictures from my trips in the album.

P.S. - Blogger still won't let me load pictures, so just click on this link and it will take you to my online photo album. I put the pictures on there. You don't have to sign in to view the pictures, you just click on the album and you'll be able to view them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home